Barry (Gold) is named after Mother Gonzaga Barry who led the first group of Loreto nuns to Australia from Ireland in 1875.
She began the first Loreto school in Ballarat, Victoria, quickly following that with schools in other States. She was a great pioneer in education, opening Teachers’ colleges and preparing girls for the university.
Ward (Red) is named after Mary Ward, Foundress of the Institute of the Blessed Virgin Mary (IBVM) is the official name of the Loreto sisters.
Born in England in 1585 she travelled valiantly across the continent founding schools in many countries and setting up a new style of religious life, one that was very active and ordinary in its way of life as well as centred in prayer. She died in 1645 confident that ‘women in time to come will do much’.
Nestor (Green) is named after Monsignor James Nestor, past Parish Priest of Holy Rosary Parish, Nedlands (retired end 2003). Monsignor Nestor celebrated Liturgies, Prayer Services and regularly visited the classes for many years.
He was loved and well known among the school community. Monsignor was the inaugural Director of Catholic Education in Western Australia.